The Right Coast

December 15, 2005
 
From journalist to Marine
By Tom Smith

This is an impressive story. A 31 year old WSJ correspondent packs up his typewriter (or laptop I suppose) and picks up a rifle.

Two some irrelevant observations. I detect in the USMC fitness exam what might be called Bias against the Bulky. There are some people who could no more run 3 miles in 18 minutes than fly to the moon, but are still in good or very good shape. I realize it's not that fast for a runner. But not everybody is a runner. 20 pull ups is just depressing. I have nothing to say to that. I bet I could do 100 sit ups in 2 minutes, however, as soon as my back feels better.

Second, we should pay everybody in the armed forces more money. Just give them more money. They deserve it, it would increase enlistment, retention, quality and all the rest. We could fund it by cuts to stupid highway projects and Congressional perks.