The Right Coast

October 10, 2005
 
Corner sinned not
By Tom Smith

Ramesh at the Corner apologizes, but it turns out it is I who owe him an apology, since he was not criticizing me but someone else. So, sorry Ramesh, I should not have leapt to that conclusion. K-Lo on the other hand thinks I have exceeded the bounds of acceptable silliness, and would not read a blog on which something so silly (the Barney story) appeared. Fair enough. I am perhaps not her cuppa. I am sometimes silly on this blog; sometimes if you don't laugh, you cry. And it is just a blog, after all. I think silliness can serve a purpose. Political satire can make points other genres cannot, without being unbearably pompous, as say George Will is from time to time. Besides, professors have a tendency to take themselves too seriously. As long as I am making confessions, there's something I need to get off my chest. I fell asleep halfway through "March of the Penguins." It seemed too much like my own life, perhaps, always going back and forth, mostly for the kids. And now, it back on the freeway for me.