The Right Coast

July 15, 2004
 
It's closer to the truth to say you can't get enough
By Tom Smith

You know you're addicted to love, but why? Scientists (and not the kind that will blind you -- sorry, too much MTV in the '80's) have some insights. Via Brian Leiter, defender of science.

Actually, I think the scientists' interpretation is off. I don't think we love our babies, for instance, because our critical facilities are turned off. We love them because of the genetic "self-interest," which means that our critical facilities don't have to be on in the first place. In other words, I think they've got their causality reversed. At least as the article explains it, the scientists speak as if love is a judgment we make based on some object's qualities. I don't think so. Attachment to relatives is very deep, much deeper than anything remotely like judgment. Birds and bees literally do it. I don't think drones sacrifice themselves for Big Mama because they are blind to her faults.