The Right Coast

July 07, 2004
 
Friends in high places
By Tom Smith

Congratulations to Ross Garrett, whose surfing accomplishments include exposing me to the sport that I hope will become my next escape and obsession. Ross has accepted an offer to become the Publisher of Surfer magazine, which based on my informal newsstand survey, looks like the leading surfing magazine on the market. Publisher is the guy to whom both the editorial side and the business side report, so it sounds a lot like "boss", though this is probably a concept alien to the egalitarian surfing culture. Maybe it's more like "dude." Anyway, this is great for Ross and for Surfer as well. Ross will postpone his law school career for the time being. Why someone should want a career in surfing as opposed to, say, litigation, I don't know, but to each his own.