The Right Coast

January 12, 2004
 
Redecorating hell, part 2
By Tom Smith

This morning I had a great idea. We need to put something over the fireplace, right? A painting or something. Well, why not, now work with me here, put a 42 inch plasma flatscreen TV?!! When you weren't watching Rio Bravo, True Grit, The Godfather, Goodfellas, Chinatown, GB&U, LOTR, Furturama, Animal Planet, Extreme Animals, and so forth, you could set it on a screen saver of some painting or outdoor scene or whatever! 2 birds, 1 stone! And, you could get one for less than an entertainment center would cost! Brilliant. Ran it by Jeanne. Incomprehendably, she said "no." Just "no." It would look like a painting, I said. No, she said, it would look like a big TV screen with a picture of a painting on it. So I asked my 10 year old what he thought of my idea. "I think it sounds retarded," he said. "Don't say 'retarded,'" I said, but my heart wasn't in it. So often, the fate of genius is to be misunderstood.