The Right Coast

November 22, 2003
 
Recipie of the Week
By Tom Smith

Lots of bloggers post recipies, so why shouldn't I? Here's my favorite:

Scotch and Water

Take a "double old fashioned" glass. Fill it all the way to the top with ice cubes. Now, slowly pour a blended scotch whiskey in the glass until it is half-way full. Now add water until the glass is almost full. (If your tap water is vile, use bottled water.) Stir with wrong end of spoon or if clean, your finger. Drink. Repeat.

This may seem like a simple recipie, but there are some nuances you could miss. First, note I say fill the glass all the way to the top with ice. If you do not, you will be drinking a triple or a quadruple scotch instead of a double. Do you really want to do that? You do? Well, OK then, don't fill it all the way to the top.

Notice I say blended scotch. Why not a single malt scotch? You are a Republican after all, and entitled to drink single malt scotch. The answer is simple. Some single malts taste like cough medicine aged in gasoline drums. You don't want to drink those. But others, and here is the key point, are too good. If you make one of these out of Glenlivet or McCallan, next thing you know you will be into the second half of the bottle saying "come here pretty lassie!" as you chase your wife around the table. Give her a break. Choose Johnnie Walker Red Label or some other respectable but resistable brand.

Finally, I recommend using ice. They do not use ice in Scotland. However, we are not in Scotland. If I were freezing my tail off in the dark 8 months of the year, I probably would not use ice either. But I'm not. I live in San Diego. Be an American. Use ice.