The Right Coast

November 22, 2003
 
David Brooks for gay marriage
By Tom Smith

David Brooks is strongly pro- gay marriage, it seems. Last night on the Lehrer News Hours he said so. He seems to think marriage builds character, like marching in the snow or something. If I thought marriage would make gays prone to make life-time commitments, I might be for gay marriage. But it might undermine what is left of that in all marriage. I'm probably still in the undecided camp on this one.

But I know one thing. That Nino Scalia is hot. When he comes out in that black robe, scowling at the whole world, I just want to say, enjoin me! enjoin me! OK, Brian, do I qualify as heterosexual now? (Brian Leiter wants to revive the old argument that homophobia actually means you have repressed homosexual feelings.)