The Right Coast

October 11, 2003
 
Is That You, Mom?
By Gail Heriot

The argument currently being put forth by the telephone solicitation industry--that the First Amendment prohibits the federal government from creating a "Do Not Call" list applicable only to commercial solicitors and not to political or charitable solicitors--strikes me as non-frivolous under current case law. One way or another, however, the industry is doomed. There are few issues about which Americans are in any more agreement: They hate getting these calls.

I've been impressed with how American culture has changed over time. The first telephone solicitation I ever received was for some dubious charitable cause back about twenty years ago. I don't recall what the caller said, but I ended up purchasing a box of washcloths from him. Like most people, I quickly learned to say no. In time I even learned to be quite brusque. The Gail Heriot of 1983 would think the Gail Heriot of 2003 unnecessarily rude (although the Gail Heriot of 2003 hasn't had to spend her hard-earned money on any low-quality washcloths to benefit a probably nonexistent charity). I can't help but wonder if this shortness with callers has any spillover effects into other areas of my life.

I hadn't realized just how far it had gone until this week when I called my elderly mother. Now remember, this is my mother. Unlike her daughter, she has never used foul language in her life. And she's had almost eighty years of opportunity. But when I called on my cell phone, the connection was bad, so she couldn't hear me say helllo. Mistaking me for a solicitor, she muttered, "Screw you," into the receiver and hung up.

MMMooommm!!! Is that you? Obviously, something has to be done before all the little old ladies in the country go bad.