The Right Coast

October 22, 2003
 
He Vas Only Using Ze Jews as a Scapegoat!
By Tom Smith

I'm so relieved. I had thought President Mohammed Mahathir of Malaysia was just engaged in hateful anti-Semitism when he made his recent speech about Jews ruling the world and so forth. Paul Krugman explains he was only scapegoating Jews for domestic political reasons. This was "inexcusable," Krugman says, which makes it somewhat puzzling that he takes the rest of his column trying to explain it. I also feel better about Hitler, now that I understand he was just using his hatred of the Jews for political reasons. I thought he hated Jews for, I don't know, religious reasons. Perhaps Krugman could give some P.R. coaching to Hamas. "We don't hate the Jews because they are Jews. We want to exterminate them because we want to take their land. I hope that distinction is clear." Paul Krugman is proof of the well-known phenomenon. Person achieves well-deserved academic renown. Person decides he is a genius. Person loses ability to be self-critical. Person says stupid things. Person does harm. Krugman should shut up about Jews and go back to making mathematical models.