The Right Coast

September 28, 2003
 
Field Conservatives
By Tom Smith

Boy this blogosphere stuff moves fast. Steve Bainbridge has replied to my provocative house/field conservative distinction with a choice quote of Brooks-- conservatives preach prudence without being able to exercise it. Touchay. It's only too true. Just ask soon to be governor Bustamante.
On the Brian Leiter point, I have just one more thing to add. Brian should know (and probably does) that you can't judge the intelligence of any position by numbers. Brian noted in the Green Bag that only some small percentage of members of the National Academy of Science believe in God. They probably think if there were a God, he would already be a member of the NAS. Also, if God wanted scientists to worship Him, he would give grants.
When I'm grouchy, I know it's time for me to go to the gym. When my wife tells me I need to go to the gym, I know I am really grouchy. My wife has just told me I need to go to the gym.