The Right Coast

January 09, 2006
 
A find
By Tom Smith

I came across this blog looking for reviews of Laughin's book A Different Universe. What a bloggy find. Not only is the guy a serious physicist, as far as I can tell, being a mere law professor, but he is a serious boxer as well. He has been boxing for a year, and believe me, that's serious. He also has a number of sensible, even insightful posts about various martial arts, including jujitsu, in which I am currently involved.

As long as I am on the subject, I will mention I hope to get my purple belt soon, which in my art is just more than half way to a black belt, which normally takes about 5.5 years. So I have been studying for about 2.5 years. I am toying with the idea of taking an additional class in Brazilian jujitsu (which they spell jiu-jitsu in Brazil for some reason) at another dojo, a famous one in San Diego, in order to find more people my own size and get more actual mat time. But probably I will just talk about it and not do it. Lack of time and fear are powerful motivations.