The Right Coast

December 15, 2005
 
City Council Sweepstakes
By Gail Heriot

I was at a meeting a few days ago attended by political types. One mentioned that the typical campaign for San Diego City Council now spends about a million dollars. Can you imagine that? One million dollars for a seat on the San Diego City Council? I think I can honestly say that if I had that kind of money I would happily spend it not to have to be on our miserable little city council.

The figure got me thinking about just how much opportunity for mischief there must be on the council. Why else would people be willing to throw that much money at it? No I don't mean they're all corrupt (although here in San Diego we're all starting to wonder about that issue). But it does mean that an awful lot is perceived to be at stake.