The Right Coast

August 18, 2005
Using Widows and Orphans
By Mike Rappaport

In looking up the Able Danger story, I noticed that the "Jersey Girls," the partisan Democrat widows of 9/11 victims had chimed in defending Jamie Gorelick. My reaction to this Jersey Girl is -- I am sorry about your loss, but I hardly see why that gives you expertise about national security.

But then I realized that the Jersey Girls, who were accorded much publicity and influence over the 9/11 Commission and investigations, were actually precursors to Cindy Sheehan: Women who had suffered losses were used by the Democrats to attack the Republican Administration. Republicans need to develop a way of responding to this tactic. One possibility is to form Republican groups of victims. Do we not see such Republican groups because behavior of this sort is just too unseemly?