The Right Coast

August 09, 2005
The Method to the Madness
By Mike Rappaport

While this is old hat to my colleagues and me, it is interesting to see it confirmed at the Volokh Conspiracy:

"A friend recently told me that she had been called by a law review about one of her manuscripts. The articles editor apologized for rejecting the manuscript and explained that the rejection had been made without reading the paper because the editors had mistakenly misclassified my friend’s school as being in a lower tier law school. Now that they realized their error, the editor told her, they wanted to consider the article on the merits. I don’t know how widespread this type of screening is, but that it occurred at a well-ranked, but not top journal is at least moderately disturbing."

Given the fact that law journals do not require exclusive submission, they receive too many articles to read all of them. And so their practice makes some sense. But it does place a burden on professors who don't come from top 10 schools. For that reason, I always add a list of my publications when submitting an article, so that the journals know I have regularly published in top journals.