The Right Coast

July 09, 2005
 
Into the West
By Mike Rappaport

I am not sure how many people are catching it, but in my house we are watching the six part series, Into the West, produced by Steven Spielberg, on TNT. The series attempts to tell the story of the movement of the largely white Americans into the west between the 1820 and 1890.

I must admit that I am not as familiar with the history here as I should be. As far as I can tell, the series seems to be reasonably accurate -- but extremely depressing. Sometimes it seem as if it is hard to find a period between two commercials that does not show the death of one of the characters, whether they are Indians or pioneers on a wagon train.

The most recent episode showed the Sand Creek Massacre of the Cheyenne Indians -- a truly brutal occurrence, which the series rendered quite accurately, at least as the story is told by this Web Site.